Friday, April 28, 2006

A one time deal

I'm only ever going to do this once, and, as tonight was pretty uneventfull, tonight's the night I'm gonna do it. I'm going to list all the jobs I did tonight, where I picked up, where I dropped off and how much they paid including tips. The pictures are scans of the notes I take when working. There are no actual notes on these ones as nothing happened, just the trips. I will explain as I go along.


Page 1

At the top of page one is the days date and the time I started then I list the jobs.
1st job. Maida Vale to Willesden Green, dropped in Willesden High Road. Fare: £12 inc £2 tip
2nd job. Paddington Station Rank to Rutland Gate in Kensington. Fare: £10 inc £1.80 tip.
3rd job. Old Brompton Road in South Kensington to Chepstow Crescent in Notting Hill. Fare: £10 inc £1 tip.
At this point I put £20 diesel in the tank at the Shell Garage in Bayswater Road at 21.15pm. And bought myself a packet of Airways Gum.
4th job. Paddington Rank to the City Inn, a hotel in John Islip Street near Westminster. Fare: £13 inc £1.20 tip.
5th job. Victoria Station Taxi Rank to Mallinson Road in Battersea. Fare:£13 inc 80pence tip. Total so far: £58.

Page 2

Page 2 starts with the previous balance carried over. £58

Nosebag - B. Pk. Rd means I stopped for my supper (nosebags are used on cart horses to feed them and some cabbies apply the term to their own feeding times, don't we Chris?) B.Pk Rd. (Battersea Park Road) is the location of the Chinese Take Away I mentioned and pictured a few blogs back. I had my usual; a number 96 with fried rice, 96 being Satay Chicken. I always collect my food and sit in Prince of Wales Drive next to Battersea Park eating and listening to Virgin Radio where tonight an ecstatic listener won a week in New York City.

Back to work.

6th job. Victoria Station Taxi Rank to the Zander Bar at 45 Buckingham Gate. Fare: £4.40 Legal (no tip).

7th job. Billy Elliot playing at the Victoria Palace Theatre, Victoria Street to Waterloo Railway Station. Fare: £10 inc £1.80 tip.

(today for some reason I start adding up the totals down the right side of the pages)

8th job. Waterloo Taxi Rank to Loughborough Junction Station near Brixton (a rough area) Fare: £12.20 Legal.

9th job. Victoria Station Taxi Rank to Wandsworth Road, south of the river. Fare: £11 inc £1 tip. (looks like a 4)

10th job. Buckingham Palace Road near Victoria Station to Strawberry Moons, a bar in Heddon Street, Central London. Fare: £10 inc £1.40 tip.

11th job. Regent Street, Central London to the Sanderson Hotel, a popular and trendy venue in the centre. Fare: £5.60 Legal

12th job. The Sanderson Hotel to Angel Islington an area in North London. Fare: £10 inc 40 pence tip.

Total so far, £126.


Page 3

13th job. Great Portland Street (central) to Erconwald Street in East Acton, West London. Fare: £22 inc £3 tip. (Her company was paying and she asked me for a couple of blank receipts)

14th job. NHG (Notting Hill Gate) to Brixton, South London. Fare: £27 Legal.

15th Job. Brixton (I only pick up here if they look respectable) to Prince of Wales Drive, Battersea (where I ate my supper) Fare: £14 inc £2 tip.

16th job. Kings Road, Chelsea to Fulham Park Gardens. Fare: £10 inc 40 pence tip.

17th job. Gloucester Road, South Kensington to Du Cane Court in Balham, South London. Fare: £17 Legal.

18th job. Kings Road, Chelsea to Vingt Quatre, a 24 hour Brasserie in Fulham Road, Chelsea. Fare: £6 Legal.

Grand total for the night was £222 which ain't bad for seven and a bit hours work.

8 comments:

jo said...

Do you sometimes feel like you are just going round in circles?

You certainly do get around

XX

Joann said...

I got tired just reading it.

Paradise Driver said...

When you say:

"Fare: £17 Legal."

Does that mean the fare was paid but no tip?

Truckmann said...

Yes, legal is another bit of cabbyspeak, just for London as far as I know.

"he legalled me off" is a common phrase.

Anonymous said...

All in all a good nights working.

James Cridland said...

...and listening to some good music, too. Can't be bad.

James @ Virgin Radio

Paradise Driver said...

I just did the conversion

222 GBP = 405 USD

VERY good shift!

Paradise Driver said...

You can listen to Virgin Radio on the web. Just click link!

Very good!