Saturday, December 15, 2007

On the case

It’s been a while hasn’t it?

Well, I’ve been on jury service for the last few weeks and have had to work as well so I haven’t had the energy to blog.

I won’t go into the details of the trial but it was an industrial espionage case involving phone tapping and computer hacking. The defendant was only on the fringes of the whole thing and after a short deliberation we agreed he was not guilty. He was very relieved and mouthed the words “thank you” over to us. The police officers on the other hand were not and shook their heads in disbelief at our verdict. The whole thing was an experience but financially it has taken its toll on me. The courts only pay you a certain amount, certainly not enough to cover what I’ve lost. I pity those people with a mortgage. Also I was lucky that the trial only lasted two weeks, some of the other jurors were on cases lasting from between three to six months, that would definitely have ruined me, as I’m sure it’s ruined some of them.

My regular cab is now in the garage going through its annual overhaul. The manager brought a Fairway round to me last Friday as I was busy in court and couldn’t get over to the garage. What a shit-cart!! There are at least a dozen things wrong with this cab but the main thing is that the suspension is actually non-existent. I may as well be driving a horse and cart. Two people have commented on the bumpiness of the ride and I’m sure many more would’ve loved to. I can’t wait to get the other one back.

I’ve been trying to do a bit of work most nights after finishing at the court but as tiredness has set in I’ve ended up going home early.

This week has seen work in abundance on the streets due to the Christmas parties taking place. Tonight it was “one in one out” everywhere and even as I finished there were still hundreds of people looking for cabs.

I was in the traffic at Notting Hill Gate when a guy came up to the window and asked if I would go to Wimbledon Village for twenty pounds. I said no and drove off and he tried to stop me pulling away by grabbing the window frame shouting “Oi, oi, wait!!”
People like him make me sick. Would he accept less money in his pay packet at work because his boss didn’t want to pay him the full amount?

I stopped with Chris tonight at Gloucester Road where we had a coffee. Whilst looking at all the lovely ladies walking past our cabs the conversation inevitably turned to sex.

EDIT: Next bit was removed by author as it may have caused offence.


Good Night all.

7 comments:

Paradise Driver said...

I was worried that your license had been suspended for the points.

Glad to see you back.

Anonymous said...

Damn,I wanted to hear the offensive stuff

Anonymous said...

Yeah, post the 'offensive' stuff!

You can always put a warning before it.

John said...

This must be a case of the early birds getting the juicy bits....

Anonymous said...

i hear the cats protection league are hunting for you!

Anonymous said...

Damn, I missed the juicy bits before you removed them. Can I join the call to have them re posted please?

And happy Christmas, I have enjoyed your blog this year. As I live in Japan it feels like seeing a little bit of home every now and then. Thank you and I look forward to more in 2008.
W

RyanReibey said...

Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I've truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing for your feed and I am hoping you write again soon!taxi from naples to sorrento